To get the best breakdown policy for your van you need to think about:

  • Whether you use your van for personal or commercial use

  • What cover you want

  • What exclusions to look out for

When you know what sort of policy you want, get as many quotes as possible to find the best cover at the cheapest price.

What do you use your van for?

You might have a van for:

  • Personal use

  • Commercial use

If you have one van for both business and personal use, most providers can cover you with a standard breakdown policy.

If you want to cover a fleet of vans, you need a specialist commercial vehicle breakdown policy. Here is everything you need to know about protecting a fleet of vehicles.

What cover do you want?

You need to think about what type of policy you want. There are two types of breakdown cover you can choose from:

  • A personal policy, which covers you in any vehicle you travel in

  • A vehicle policy, which covers one specific van only

You then need to work out what level of breakdown cover is right for you:

  • Roadside assistance: This gives you help if your van breaks down on the road, and it will either be fixed there or towed to the nearest garage

  • Homestart: This gives you assistance if your van breaks down at home or at the address your van is registered

  • Onward travel: This gives you a hire van if your vehicle cannot be repaired straight away, or it can cover the cost of public transport so you can carry on your journey

  • European cover: This covers your van when you drive in Europe. Find out how European breakdown cover works here.

What exclusions should you look out for?

Check what size of van each insurer covers, because many do not cover heavy goods vehicles.

Most policies only cover vehicles that weigh no more than 3.5 tonnes, and have a maximum width of 7 feet 6 inches.

Other common policy exclusions include any breakdown caused by a flat tyre or if your van is deemed unroadworthy. Find out more about what is not covered by most policies here.