To get the best roadside assistance cover, think about:

  • Whether you want personal or vehicle cover: A personal cover policy protects you as a driver or passenger in any car. Vehicle cover protects one specific vehicle.

  • Where you want to be covered: Roadside assistance only starts once you are a set distance away from home. This can be over a quarter of a mile, but some only protect you when you are more than a mile away.

  • If you need extra cover: You could add vehicle recovery, home start and European cover to your policy for a fee. Find out what breakdown cover you can get here.

Here is more information on how to find the right breakdown policy for you.

What is roadside cover?

It is the most basic level of breakdown cover, and means you can call an engineer to come and fix your vehicle if it breaks down on the road.

If they cannot fix your car, it could be towed to:

  • The nearest garage to where you have broken down, or the closest garage approved by your provider

  • A destination of your choice, as long as it is not further than an approved garage, or it is within a certain distance, for example ten miles

Not all providers offer the same towing options, so read the terms and conditions of each policy when you get a quote to see which best suit your needs.

What else to look for

Try to find out how long each provider takes to respond to a breakdown call out.

Look for the provider that can get to you the fastest when you break down. Most promise to arrive within an hour, but some can get to you within 45 minutes.

Check each policy for exclusions because some companies do not cover all breakdowns, like tyre punctures. Find out what is not covered by a breakdown policy here.

When you know what cover you need, compare as many quotes as you can to find the right policy at the cheapest price.