Most motorbike breakdown policies offer the same cover options as a standard car policy. This means you can get:

  • Roadside assistance, which covers the cost of call outs if you break down, and being towed to a garage if necessary

  • Vehicle recovery, which covers towing your motorcycle to any location if it cannot be fixed at the roadside

  • Onward travel, which covers the cost of a hire car, public transport or accommodation if you break down a long way from home

  • Home start, which covers breakdowns that happen at your home

  • European cover, which covers you when you ride your motorbike in Europe; find out how it works here

Personal or vehicle cover

There are two different ways your motorcycle breakdown insurance can cover you:

  • Personal cover, which means you will be covered when you ride any motorbike

  • Vehicle cover, which means your motorbike will be covered, whoever is riding

You might want personal cover if you have more than one motorbike, or you also drive a car. If you share a bike, a vehicle cover policy might be the cheapest option.

What is not covered?

Some providers may restrict what cover you can get if you have a motorbike. For example, you may not be able to add extra cover like battery, or parts and labour cover.

There may be other policy exclusions, like:

  • Motorbikes under 49cc

  • Breakdowns caused by punctures

  • Unroadworthy vehicles

  • Putting the wrong fuel in your motorbike

Check the terms and conditions carefully before you buy a policy so you know exactly what you will be covered for when you break down.

When you know what cover you need, and which exclusions you need to look out for, get as many quotes as possible.