To find the best breakdown policy for towing a caravan, you should:

  • Make sure your caravan is covered

  • Work out what cover you need

  • Compare quotes to find the best policy

Will your caravan be covered?

Most providers only cover caravans or trailers that are under a certain weight and size. For example, many policies cannot cover caravans that are:

  • Heavier than 3.5 tonnes

  • Longer than 7 metres

  • Wider than 2.55 metres

  • Taller than 3 metres

Check the terms and conditions of each policy carefully because not all providers set the same restrictions.

What cover can you get?

Caravan breakdown insurance policies offer the same protection as standard cover, including:

  • Roadside assistance: This covers call outs when you break down at least a quarter of a mile from home

  • Vehicle recovery: This covers towing your vehicle and caravan to any location if it cannot be fixed by the side of the road

  • Onward travel cover: This covers the cost of a hire car, public transport or overnight accommodation so you can continue your journey

  • Home start: This covers breakdowns that happen at your home

If you take a caravan on holiday in Europe, you can add European breakdown cover to your policy, or buy separate cover for your trip. Here is how European breakdown cover works.

Are you a member of a caravan club?

Some breakdown providers offer specialist policies if you are a member of caravan club, for example The Camping and Caravanning Club. These policies can give you extra benefits, like:

  • No size or weight restrictions

  • Recovery from any UK campsite

  • Transport to and from your campsite if your towing vehicle cannot be repaired

If you are a member of a caravan club, check to see if you can get a specialist policy when you apply for a quote.